My husband is out right now...buying a new tree stand. Ours is done for - we've bent it, re-bent it and this year our tree is so huge that we need a sturdy one. I can't tell you how many times last year I picked up a fallen tree.
I just kinda forgot about that minor detail...along with some other minor details before we went out and got our tree. My brain's been failing me lately. But my kids are excellent at rolling with it.
Thanksgiving Night, Isa spent the night with my sister and brother at my Mom's house. Friday morning...we decorated without Isa. I pouted for a bit but we weren't decorating our tree so I was relieved she'd be home for that. She wanted to see a movie and hang with them. I get it. I just missed her. Oh the woes of having a tweener (yeah, I know - it's just the beginning).
Nana, Dev and Madi decorated joyfully - this is Madi's first year really getting it and boy oh boy is she excited! Nana and Dev loved teaching her every Christmas tradition we have. Where things go, who made what and what Christmas Lovey (stuffed animals from Grandma Kim and Papa Wade) that she gets to snuggle with for the Christmas Season.
I love how Christmas decorations are like seeing old family friends they haven't seen in awhile. It's always "oh, I remember....!" or "I LOVE THIS!" or "this is my favorite..." Seriously, doesn't get better than that. Pure JOY.
Denise gave us these little Santa postcards. We always write letters to Santa but these little cards were fun for them to write on. Thanks, DD. Dev spent so much time on his making sure he kissed up real well to Santa. He made sure to let him know there WILL BE COOKIES.
Sunday, we were going to get a tree but duty called...or rather Daddy had to run into work so we went tonight. Yep, on a Monday night out to Red-Wood Farm in Woodinville to get our tree. I'm in love with this place...I love the customer service and better yet my kids love their free hot cocoa and candycanes. Really, all Tree Farms seem to have hot cocoa and candycanes - don't fret. This place has great pickings though...there are a couple places north we haven't really been satisfied with so I stick with what I love.
This tradition was passed on from Grandpa Eddie and Grandma Kim...Daddy had fond memories of picking their tree the day after Thanksgiving and going back to cut it closer to Christmas. We LOVE hunting for trees. Daddy started this with our kids when they were littlies and boy oh boy do we love it! Last year, we missed out on it due to the yuckies that all of us had at that time. But, we really made an effort this year. The kids were squealing when I picked them up from the bus to tell them we'd be going. What makes it that much better is that it's Daddy's tradition. I set all kinds of traditions but this being Daddy's tradition means so much to me and even more so to our children.
We picked the perfect muddy night. Perfect. I packed rainboots and we stomped out (0r in) the puddle mess. Daddy didn't have a coat and we hoofed it all the way to the back to find the most magnificent Christmas Tree we could possibly find...in the dark.
He must've been cold or had superman powers because he didn't even take a break and he was bookin' it pretty fast. Usually he takes a couple breaks but he hiked it from the back of the farm right into the office. I was the one laggin' behind. We were all ready to pay and tghe kids were happily filling up their cups with hot cocoa and apple cider + a hefty amount of candycanes...then I forgot the checkbook (I thought they took debit!) so he ran another errand to the bank to get ca$h. He's still outside...trimming the trunk. Super Daddy!
Have I mentioned he's amazing? We are going to decorate the tree tomorrow night with (what I hope to make) Turkey Pot Pie.


2 comments:
I do love Christmas traditions! We usually go up to the mountains and cut down our tree the weekend after thanksgiving but there was too much snow. It's Bryan's favorite tradition too and has kinda become his thing. Men are so funny.
We'll have to check this place out!
What an awesome family tradition! Memories your kiddos will cherish forever!
Post a Comment