Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chess Club is BACK!

Okay, now it's official. I've started school.

I'm back to my routines of volunteering that is. I'm glad I gave myself a couple weeks to adjust to this all before I dove in head first. Otherwise, I would be wiped out.

Chess Club is always a hit in the fall. Then by spring, I'm begging folks to join in. I get it. Everyone is in the school spirit then spring...it's like senioritis - everyone wants to be done.

I'm with ya. But, I enjoy this club. This is my 3rd year running it.

I will be the Beginner's Coach. What's on their curriculum to learn? How to move their Knight and eventually be able to Castle. This will ensure success.


Coach Hristo. He got home from Bulgaria today! His daughter was getting married - I asked if he wanted to wait a week but he wanted to jump right in. He is super dedicated and extremely passionate. I've worked with him for awhile and at first I thought he was super intimdating for the kids but actually...it's pure passion for chess. I'm so happy to be working with him.

Nana and Em were partners. Shocking, right?
[Em is one of Nana's best friends.]



Dev is in 1/2 day Kindergarten but because his Momma has to go anyway, he comes with me. He has been waiting for Chess Club since the beginning of last year. He loves it! He packed his snack in his lunch box [as if he went to full day] and skipped to Chess Club.


Our cousin, Livi is in Chess Club too. Her Momma was there today to help out. It was super chaotic on the first day with all the admin + checks I have to organize that she ended up helping the beginners work their Knights.


I love Chess Club and I think it's a skill all could use. It makes you think strategically outside of your own box that you normally think in. It has helped Isa improve her math skills - although with her work load [she has decided to skip push herself in her class's reading program] that she can't do Chess Club. It's rewarding to see the kids from last year conquer the puzzles Hristo has for them. Here's to another year of Chess!

1 comment:

chefamily said...

Emma sure does love Chess club! She was schooling her Aunties this weekend!
I can't believe the little Kindergartners are able to sit through the lessons! I know they just want to play, chat, and eat snacks! haha!
Thank you again for bringing chess club to our school! It is a huge success!