Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kayak Point Camping Trip with the F2

Oh, what a weekend!!

I had a sick sick sick boy on Thursday. I think I gave him food poisoning. Yes, ME! I was making italian sodas for the kids at home with SANPELLEGRINO (orange), vanilla syrup and half and half. I then realized when making Isa's that it was chunky (by then Dev had gobbled his up)and finding out later that the fridge had been cracked for awhile and the half and half was on the door so it must've went bad because the next day we had to run some last minute errands for our camping trip while the carpet cleaner was there.

Then, disaster hit. As soon as we stepped out the door, he barfed on the ground. I was like okay, home wasn't a place we could be with the carpet cleaning (it would make him more sick because it was HOT in there!!) so we went to Costco. He was doing good; he drank some Vitamin Water and was feeling like a champ but everyone and their mom was at Costco. Got everything I needed and went in the long line and bam! throw up all over himself and the front of the cart. Sicknast. The Costco guys were so sweet bringing me paper towels and pushing me threw as fast as possible. I grabbed the paper towels and said "you guys don't get paid enough to clean up my son's throw up, I got this!" with a smile. I appreciated their customer service but really, if I was grossed out I KNOW they were!!

We went home and the rest of the night was downhill. At 8:30pm, I was preparing for me, Madi and Dev to stay home and send the girls and Husband on our trip to Kayak Point. It was Husband's birthday the next day and this camping trip was his present because it's his most favorite thing to do with us. I was near tears thinking of not going but knowing this was the only solution.

Then, the gates of heaven broke open and he woke up at 5am exclaiming he was all better! "My legs don't hurt, Momma!" "My tummy feels better!!" I was skeptical, really? I just spent the previous 10 hours cleaning up barf off of me and him - I didn't think (like the heat) it would ever end. Thank goodness it did!! He was 1000% better and driving us all nuts so we ventured out. We thought even if he felt crappy it was a 30 minute drive home and Husband could take us if need be. Risky, I know. But, you know what? That's what life is about - trial and error. So, trial it was...off we went.

We started camping with the F2 last year and it was a blast that we decided to make it a yearly tradition! Husband has known Chris since college it's great that our kids can grow together and be part of our family. I know I'll say this again but thanks, F2 for making more memories with us!


Morning of pack-up...my goofy girls messin' around with their glasses.




Arrival to Kayak Point campsite. Izzie and Jules' Momma recommended this park to us and I'm so glad we came. A short drive and tons to do; gotta love that! So, thanks - Fran!









Can we unload and go swimming???




The view from our little beach side retreat. There was no one really around us and we were close to the bathrooms. Heaven! Especially because the boys headed to Chris' parents house on Camano Island to grab firewood and see the Park Ranger about refunding the 2nd campsite we didn't need. Yes, honey - I will never do that again. Only one! - for some reason I was thinking we needed two. Clearly, we didn't and we shared one the whole weekend. I was solo with the kids and could not think of a better place to unwind while they played.

When the boys escaped I decided to take the kids down the long beach trail to the beach. If I didn't I would be ruining the hopes and dreams of 2 nine year olds and a seven year old. Not really but it felt that way. It was like the stairs from h-e-l-l but it was a much needed buttocks work out. That was a plus! And, of course I had no idea so I'm carrying all the beach stuff - towels - Madi and lifevests. I had no idea it was going to be that horrendous. I thought it was just a little trail the stairs were hard on the little ones. The kids were carrying their stuff but it was too hard to go down the stairs (they were steep) so trying to avoid an injury (ironically) I decided to stock pile on myself. Smart or stupid? That I don't know but we made it safely and the boys came back before we headed back so it worked out lovely.


My mister, I had put Dev and Madi's stuff away the evening before thinking that we weren't going to go camping. I did forget to unpack his lifevest and Madi's swim diapers so I was saved - they could still enjoy their water time.






The girls playing with a driftwood log in the water (Nana could fully touch the ground and it was only to her waist, promise!).




The girls trying to get up on the log - they were having so much fun! You can hear the kids next to them catching on to the idea and having a blast doing it too!



The girls were so entertained by this log. I love how they can come up with games no matter where they are.



Madi being clinging but Dev having a blast and me thanking the high heavens that he felt better! Talk about Mommy guilt if he wasn't getting over the tummy issue I would've bought him all the icecream on the icecream truck! Seriously, so grateful that he (+ Madi and I) were able to enjoy our camping trip with our family.


Collecting rocks and shells their favorite activity at any beach.




The first day, Madi wasn't really into anything except clinging to me (surprise, surprise) and throwing rocks into the water (her favorite thing to do).






Silly faces!!



The park just behind the beach that the kids loved playing at when it was too cold to swim. Chris' GF, Ann met up with us and hung out for the day and dinner.





I guess this summer I am obsessed with bald eagle finding. Here's another in a tree and there was another but you're probably not interested in my million pictures of eagles it's all about the kids and I know this so...moving on. :)

This is gross but she loves yelling in those and loves it even more if some one yells back. All I can think of is G-E-R-M-S. But, I'm learning to let go...a little bit.


Dare Devil Madi. All parks (newer ones) seem to have this little bar above the slide so kids can swing and then slide (or plummet to their death which ever).


The pier where a ton of people were fishing and crabbing (which actually makes no sense because it's so crowded and shallow not to mention noisy with all the boats and kids, crabs have to be smarter than that!). The kids are looking at tiny fish swimming below.

Daddy's birthday cake that Isa and Nana made for specially for Daddy.


What's camping without dinner around the campfire. We had teriyaki chicken thighs, potato rolls, tortellini salad (I know, I'm over this salad too but it was requested by Husband and it was his birthday dinner.) and watermelon. Yummy in my tummy.


We brought scooters which was fun for the kids to do. Madi discovered she likes scootering so I'm sure we'll see her doing this on her own shortly.

Practice makes perfect. He's almost ready for the training wheels to come off!!


Cass with her scooter!




Denise got us Jiffy Pop because it was a childhood memory of hers and boy oh boy! The kids loved watching it get bigger and the taste was somehow better for them! So, thank you - Denise for sharing and thinking of our kids having the same fun memories! What a special treat for this camping trip!

I swear I said "I'm taking a picture, 1-2-3!" and no one looked except for Husband - and yes, he loves me and blog pictures but I must've caught every one off guard. Here's Husband, Ann (Chris' GF) and Chris. It was great meeting her! She played with the kids and she owns a horse so she had my girls attention at "nay..". :) My kids loved chatting her ear off about her horse. Thanks for being a good sport, Ann!


Roasting weenies for our last dinner. Daddy made ribs with a Spicy Honey rub it says to do with chicken but it is so good with ribs (Nikki, thanks for posting this originally on your blog - we've had it twice; once with chicken and now with ribs!). We accompained our yummy ribs with corn on the cob, left over salad and watermelon.


Down time = 30 minutes of reading and 30 minutes of video games.

This was today...our classic G6 + F2 picture. We had a great time with Chris and Cass (thanks you guys for creating more memories with us!).


Rolling up our 8 person tent; hard work in itself. Thanks, Daddy for always doing it!! It's nice to know I don't have to pitch a tent (hahaha!) OR pack it up. Gotta love husbands!

Our friend, the grasshopper who somehow ended up in our car!! I told Daddy he needed to release him before he started hopping and Madi started screaming (it was on her carseat) or ate it which ever...really Mommy needed it to get out so I wouldn't scream!

We had a great time camping and love it more and more when we go!! The kids have a wonderful time as do we so it's a definitely a win-win situation for all. Thank you, C6 and F2 for some awesome memories this summer!!

2 comments:

chefamily said...

Wow! It looks like the weather was perfect for you all! I didn't realize your campsite was only a 1/2 hour away!?!?!
I like the Eagle pics! That one looks like it was pretty close!

Nikki said...

Fun camping trip! I'm definitely trying that rub with ribs...and maybe italian soda, maybe not...