Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Daisy (Girl Scout) Project


Success.


The Scrapbooks were a hit. The 1st Graders thought it was so neat and had lots of creative ideas flowing for what they envision their book to be like by the end of Daisies this year. I totally thought I would have to hold their hand and repeat over and over "it can look however you'd like it to look, it's yours." Kids tend to be weary about using their own creativity when I have done projects like this in the past. I see a big difference with Dev's Co-Op age group and this age group. Obviously but the 3's have a tendency not to really worry about what their art looks like-it's theirs and they know it's amazing. 1st Graders (even 3rd Graders) want a ton of approval that they are doing it correctly instead of just letting their creativity go organically. It's much more fun if they just let it go and see what turns out.



However...this project was different. They did let it go. It was a hoot watching them very carefully leaving space for a picture and envisioning what size their picture would be and what shape they would cut it into to fit in the frame of space they created. It was awesome. They had tons of ideas for the flap of the brown paper bag (the original bottom of the bag) would hold. They put secret sayings in there and pictures. The pockets (the original top of the bag) was going to hold their treasures they found or their patches Mom hasn't sewed on yet.


I took pictures of each girl so that they could put it on their cover later. I had a lot of fun and Jackie (Kelci's Momma and good friend) helped out so it went so smoothly. I had all my kiddies there and forgot my camera (surprise, right?) but Husband stopped home for me snagged it just before I was about to explain the project then swooped up the kids to get them ready for bed. My hero.




I thought Miss Nana had her vest (or apron) on but she didn't.


Most of the Daisy Troop minus I think 4 girls. I'll snap their pictures next time.

2 comments:

chefamily said...

Emma had her first Girl Scout meeting tonight and loved it! I forgot what it was all about...There is something special about seeing a bunch of girls work together for a cause. It looks like Nana and her girlfriends had a blast! What a special project you created for them!

Heidi said...

Fun! I remember things in Daisy's that I did when I was a little girl. The project looks so fun and it is great that they will have something to hold onto forever...