Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cousins Playing Chess

Livi and Dev gleefully playing chess on a crazy day!



Today...is one of those days.

I came to pick up Pay and Dev from 1/2 day Kindergarten at 12pm and the school went into LOCKDOWN. (I know how you like my all caps, Denise! Bwhahahaha!).

I texted Denise and started calling parents on our roster that had cell phones available. I got a hold of a mom who became our communicating link. Denise contacted everyone else on our class roster (as we're co-coordinators).

We found out on Kiro 7 that 2 burglars were trying to steal from a music room from a near by school and ran into our neighboring woods linking up to our school campus.

Everything was cleared by the police and we were declared safe. School could resume. I grabbed Pay and Dev then went to check on Nana.

Nana did not handle it as well. She was scared that a bear was going to break in (as that was an example given during a drill once). She knew something was horribly wrong and had some anxiety. Her teachers did amazingly. They had her do visualizations, some breathing but her and 2 of her friends were not convinced. She needed to be with Mommy.

So, I took her home. It felt like the right thing to do as did canceling Chess Club although the school wanted it resume. I took the school's recommendation.

I went. I was late because for some reason rain = inability to drive then...Coach Hristo called me in a panic saying he was going to be 45 minutes late to an hour session. Shoulda went with my gut...I hate when that happens! The kids were super listeners for me and some parents came and picked up their kids a bit early due to no chess coach.

But he is here now. The kids are gleefully playing and all seems to be well in the world. Cousins were cute as ever together playing Chess. Livi had some confident issues starting Chess but she is doing tons better. She seems to really enjoy it and showed me how to Castle. :) Dev of course practices every day. Maybe he'll be a international competitor some day. Chess was crazy but those kids there I'm glad that got some good chess playing in!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Phew what a scary day! I wonder why they used a bear as an example. Don't they know kids (and me) have an overactive imagination?

Livi is one of my baby names ;) (wink does not mean I am pregnant, but does mean you should come to Bellevue because they just opened a cupcake royal AND there is a trophy cupcake here too)

chefamily said...

What a DAY! Phew! Thanks for taking such good care of the kindergartners and for making sure my kiddos were all emotionally ok. Oh and thank you so much for treating us to lunch to "eat our feelings"! Love ya!