Friday, October 10, 2008

Time Out

WARNING: Do not let Baby exterior deceive you. Baby bites. Baby hits. Baby bites hard.

A little background...the littlest Gibsons like to bite. It was a phase Dev went through (and out grew) and around Madi's age...now Madi is. Isa and Nana never did. But these two, bite. Urgh. It's frustrating. You try to say "no" (even when it hurts like no other) without making too much of a fuss because they crave for the reaction. A simple firm "no, that's ouchie to Mommy" should do. Last night these two were hitting. Dev was on my lap, Madi didn't like it. She hit Dev. I grabbed her hand and said "no, that's ouchie to Dev." and she proceeded to hit harder and faster (probably thinking she better get her licks in when she can). When I told her "no" she bit me. It was clear her intent was to hurt me. Then Dev thought...spotlight is on Madi no one will notice if I hit. I did. I saw him shove her down and then look up, like "oh, did she fall?" So? Time out we go.

Miss Madi is new to this time out business. It wasn't meant for her to sit there for X amount of time it was meant for her to know that if she hits, bits or pushes she is taken away from her siblings and misses out on fun. She was not happy.

She escapes and Dev tattles. We then had to pull the "baby" card out. She doesn't really get it but we are teaching her. Just like we did with you when you were little. They are molding together and play more together...she isn't such a burden to Dev anymore. He realizes she isn't going anywhere-she is a permanent family fixture. He tries to give her alternatives now instead of grabbing or shoving. For that, I'm forever grateful to him. That small piece of kindness makes such a difference in the G6 household.

No comments: