Friday, December 14, 2007

Kindergarten Gingerbread Houses

Today was a special day for both girls. Isa was chosen as a "Star Attraction" in her class. Which means that she gets to take home the class pet, Curious George the stuffed toy, and fill out a poster all about herself! She had been hoping the WHOLE week (literally everyday she said "I wonder who will be Star Attraction this week?"). It made her day...and week. She also is up for the Citizenship Award her school gives once a month to one child in each class for has demonstrated "citizen" qualities. We call it the Good Samaritan Award. We are very proud. They send out this letter so you can plan on being there during the Assembly. I thought it was today and volunteered in Hannah's class to make Gingerbread Houses thinking I can make every one happy! Hahhahaha! It's next Friday-which was fine because I thought I could sneak out of the school after I was done and have the girls take the bus home. Hahahahah! We're just going to keep laughing through all of this because well, it's how I survive each day. Laugh. And laugh more because I KNOW it'll be funny when I look back on it. So, I might as well get my kicks where I can. Normally, I don't volunteer in Nana's class. Here are 3 reasons why:
  1. She's in afternoon Kindergarten and Dev takes his nap during that time. And folks, he NEEDS that nap!
  2. Madi is usually fussy this time of day because she has ran errands with me in the morning and is in desperate need of some Mommy Time.
  3. I usually study during this time IF both kiddies are napping.

All very important reasons that I don't volunteer. Well, I am done with my finals so no excuses and her teacher gave me the big "OK" to bring the kiddies in. So...here is our adventure.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Nanners and her 3rd Grade buddy, Jacey, starting on Nana's Gingerbread House

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dev playing with the classroom's trucks. Which later he stowed away in my stroller to take home. We gotta bring them back Monday.

So, things are going great at this point. I was able to pass out candy, graham crackers, frosting and so on without a peep from either child. Dev is eating his ham and rice chips. Madi is looking around and very happy. As the Kindergarteners and 3rd Grade buddies sit down to do their Gingerbread House project Madi gets fussy so I whip out her bottle and we're good to go. Things are going amazingly great. The kids start finishing and Teacher asks me if I could keep the kids occupied by coloring on the tables right outside the classroom. No problem, I figure it's best. My little ones are out of the way and it'll be good. Madi starts to get unusually fussy. Uncontrollably fussy. Then, it hits me. The aroma of poo has hit my Mom senses and man, part of me is relieved. She hasn't been feeling well and hadn't poo-ed in a day. So, poo-ing is always good for little ones and makes for happier kids. No problem. So, I sit down and get the changing pad out with diapers and wipes. The works. Thinking the whole time, I'll be fast so I don't have to drag Dev to the bathroom that may or may not have a changing table. I'll hide behind the cubbies. I open the diaper and OMIGOSH! The poo is up the back (yeah, literally UP the friggin' BACK!), all over her legs, stained her pants. I can not believe no one said anything like "Hey, your child is dripping POO!" Yeah, can't believe it. Now, after 4 kids I'm pretty good at expediting my diaper changes. Quick diaper changes are my specialty. But, I was getting anxious because I am suppposed to be keeping the Kindergarteners and 3rd Graders busy with this coloring activity. They snuck in candy so I know they are ready to bounce off the walls. All the more reason for me to HURRY UP! I change her diaper, clothes and wrap every thing up in my diaper garbage bags. Which Husband gives me such a bad time about having around but they are definitely for moments like this. Whew! All is well. I'm still thinking there is an Assembly today so I'm worried I may not be able to go if she blasts her diaper off again. Relieved Teacher said "No, next Friday!" So, relieved.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The end result. Nana was the LAST one done. I didn't get a good look at it because I was still frazzled. I took the picture right after the POO experience.

All in all. It was a good day. Isa caught me as I was getting ready to leave and her and Kendyl begged me to stay so they wouldn't have to take the bus. I thought the bus was cool. Isa and Kendyl would much rather I give them rides. Nana is catching on. The bus used to be the reason they got up in the morning. They are SO over that. I'm bummed. Can you tell?

No comments: