Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Camp Casey with Nana!

I had the privilege of sharing this experience with Nana. Nana's class did a special trip for 3 years with another class to Camp Casey. Have you ever gone? It's. Amazing. I couldn't believe the luck we got with the weather but it was clear and beautiful!

I have to thank my Mother in Law, Kim for taking the WHOLE day off to spend with the other 3 kids (doing my job - picking up, dropping off and playing - I know it's a been a few years since she's stepped in the "mom" role so thank YOU, Kim!)

We took the ferry over together and had a quiet ride chatting without interruptions. It was the absolute best having her all to myself.




When we got there we played in the field. She played frisbee with her two close friends - Brendon and Hannah T.







Deer! They were so friendly. They wandered freely around the grounds. It was so neat to see.



Nana was not 100% sure if she was going to stay. Her teachers are the most supportive, loving and caring teachers I have ever known. We are so blessed to have them in our lives. They pulled Nana aside and let her know it was okay if she didn't want to stay and they supported whatever she wanted to do. I was there until 4pm so she could spend most of the day there.



She was very brave. She ended up staying. Her and Bella (her bunkmate) ended up getting scared but another Mom came in and rubbed their backs while comforting them. Then, Nana said she conked out. She admitted she was overly tired and that made her miss us. I am so very proud of her for staying. I was prepared to drive right back up there. The ferry comes every 1/2 hour so I was ready to go if she needed me. I love her.






We walked along the beach and looked for her favorite thing...rocks. We watched the water and then built a dam with her buddy, Brendon.








Rocks!

You're not supposed to take anything from beach but her teachers let each kid take ONE thing. Nana was super excited about that!







Mia and Nana. She loves Mia. Loves Mia. They had a blast walking and talking along the beach. I got the hint and went to go sit with the moms on a log.





We went hiking. We went to go see this beautiful lighthouse. The kids ran up it then down it then up it.






Then, they got to play and run through the whole forts. They went in the actual bunkers/forts underground and used flash lights. It was truly an experience for them all!






This is the living area of their quarters which was like a motel really. Not camping at all. It was clean and had heat + showers. Yeah, not camping but none the less still had the outdoorsy feel.




I am thankful for these teachers. They have touched our lives and most importantly put a stamp the shape of heart on Nana. She is motivated and inspired by her teachers, what more could a parent ask for? She has become a student that is eager to learn. Thank you, Nancy and Sue (Nina too!).

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I loved camp. What great memories she made!

chefamily said...

What an amazing experience! I can't believe she decided to stay, she was convinced that she was going home with you. Sounds like it was fun and worth it!